Thursday, June 24, 2010

Galarraga is the Tigers only pitcher, Cabby for MVP, Laird likes donuts


1. Jim Leyland's experiment with Gerald Laird in the two-hole lasted only one game and all parties seem to be happy. "I asked him if he wanted the two-hole. He obviously misunderstood me.", exclaimed Leyland before Thursday's game against the Mets. Indeed, Gerald most likely had trouble hearing Jim over the blaring salsa music in the Tiger locker room. "I thought he asked me if I wanted two holes. Sometimes, Miguel brings in Dunkin' Donuts after the game and I've got a real sweet tooth. The question was a bit weird as Jim knows I like donut holes. I was confused that he bothered to ask me." Laird's love for lard was apparent when he grounded into the rare 5-5-3 double play (3B unassisted to 1B if you're keeping score at home).

"Look, you live and learn. Next time, I will be more clear when talking to Laird on an empty stomach."

"I went 0-3 and worse, I never did get any donut holes. It really hurts."

2. Galarraga might be our only starting pitcher. We have other starting throwers but Armando is the only one that makes it look effortless and gets more with less talent than anyone on our staff. Verlander, Scherzer and Bonderman lean too heavily on the strikeout which elevates their pitch counts and puts early pressure on the bullpen. It has worked this year with a lights out bullpen but it's no way to win a pennant. The art of great pitching is disguising a bad pitch for a good one via movement. Galarraga's sinker is his primary pitch and hitters struggle to distinguish this pitch from his fastball. By the time they have started their swing, the pitch is diving in on their hands. His velocity is average which plays against the ego of the opposing lineup; this is polar opposite of JV, Bondo and Max. They have great stuff (much better than AG) but let their ego dictate how they pitch, looking for the swing and miss strikeout on every batter. Lineups are itching to swing against AG while they are looking to take pitches against our other starters. Armando locates well and pitches well in situations, helping him toss deep into ball games and keeping him injury-free throughout the season. I hope our other pitchers are watching but doubt their egos would let them admit that AG has something working.

3. I swore that I wouldn't use this media fame for political reasons but it is high time that I call on my legion of fans to right a wrong. Miguel Cabrera, this year's 2010 AL MVP, is currently 3rd in voting for the All Start game at first base. Worse yet, he is trailing a Minnesota Twin and NY Yankee both of which have stats that pale in comparison. Miggy is dominating in power numbers which is what a first baseman is paid to do. He has 20% more RBI than either of these bums and his batting average is 100 points higher than perennial ass clown, Mark Texeira. If I were Texeira, I would fake an injury to avoid the embarrassment of leading Miggy in this race. If you need further proof than the stats below, please read through some previous posts of Miggy's late game heroics throughout this 2010 campaign. Click on the link below and go vote your maximum 25 times.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2010/ballot.html

PLAYER TEAM AB AVG HR RBI SB
M Cabrera DET 258 .326 19 60 2
J Morneau MIN 252 .349 15 49 0
M Teixeira NYY 279 .229 12 45 0

3 comments:

  1. I hate to agree with anybody about anything, but you are spot-on w/ the ego thing; ESPECIALLY w/ JV. Phenomenal talent, phenomenal ego = bad pitch choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laird is listed as 225 pounds on Tigers site . . I wonder what the really number is. My money is 240-245 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about JV and Scherzer, but I think you're off on Bondo. In the past, yes, but his injuries seem to have altered the way he approaches things. He has looked like a true pitcher lately.

    ReplyDelete